Friday 22 July 2016

quantum chemistry - Why replace c with v in Broglie hypothesis


I am in XI and I am currently studying atomic orbitals, I stumbled up and am stuck at the following step of de Broglie's hypothesis.


I did a little search on-line and found almost same derivation everywhere, the only place I found a more complex and supposedly accurate formula was the Wikipedia itself, though it did not explain the derivation.


Few such sites:



In the derivation of the formula $$\frac{1}{\lambda}=\frac{h}{m\color{green}c}=\frac{h}{m\color{red}v}$$


we replace $c$ with $v$. I want to ask why?


As of Wikipedia it gives a better formula with the Lorentz factor $\gamma$ :-


$$\frac{1}{\lambda}=\frac{h}{\color{red}\gamma m_oc}=\frac{h}{m_ov} \sqrt{\color{red}1\color{red}-\frac{\color{red}v^\color{red}2}{\color{red}c^\color{red}2}}$$



Can anyone give the derivation or a hint or a logic that helps understand why the derivation from $E=mc^2$ and $E=h\nu$ gives the De Broglie equation.




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...