Sunday 24 July 2016

grammar - How to use こと when expressing the experience of something?


v.。。。ことが。。。。。


How can i talk about the experience of something using こと? 買うことがdきます。 would this be the experience of being able to buy?


If you understand my problem please show me more examples!



Answer



I think I vaguely know what you're trying to find out. You should be looking for:




  • ~ことがある


It literally means something like "to have (the experience of) ~"


Verbs:



Present: 走ることがある - "There are times that (I) run"


Past: 走ったことがある - "There was a time when (I) ran"



い-Adjectives:




Present: 高いことがある - "There are times when (something) is expensive"


Past: 高かったことがある - "There was a time when (something) was expensive"



な-Adjectives:



Present: 静かなことがある - "There are times when (something) is quiet"


Past: 静かだったことがある - "There was a time when (something) was quiet"






Note that ~ことがある is structurally ambiguous between being an appositive clause and a relative clause.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...