Sunday 6 March 2016

acid base - How can I identify whether a substance is KOH or NaOH?



I've bought $\ce{NaOH}$ or $\ce{KOH}$ (I don't remember which one!) for my electrolyzer and I've tested it. Now I want to improve its performance and I was searching for a better electrolyte when I realized I've forgotten what my current electrolyte is! It is white and has crystal shape, but which one is it, $\ce{KOH}$ or $\ce{NaOH}$? If they are both white how can I know?



Answer



A flame test should tell you pretty quickly. Make a small wire loop (preferably steel or nichrome), heat in a bunsen burner or propane torch flame until red hot and all the contaminants are burned off, then dip it in your solution and put it in the flame. If sodium is present, you should get a bright yellow flame, and if it is potassium, the flame will be a dim purple (lilac) color. But a small amount of sodium present can mask that color.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...