Friday, 25 March 2016

grammar - "slightly/somewhat" の 「~[目]{め}」: Usage and limitations



I'm somewhat confused about the usage and limitations of the ~め suffix that means "somewhat/slightly". I've only ever heard it on a handful of words:




  • 大きめ

  • 小さ目

  • 多め

  • 少な目

  • 早め




and maybe a few others that I can't recall at present.


1) Can these be used with any イ-adjectives, or only certain ones?
2) Can they be used with ナ-adjectives at all? Can't say I've ever seen one.
3) What are the limitations of its usage? For the イ-adjectives, is ~めに interchangeable with ~く for forming the adverb?
4) などなど



Answer




  1. Yes. There seems to be no limitation on the combination of i-adjectives and 目.

  2. Yes. For example, 静かめの曲



  3. It is not interchangable. As you already wrote in the question, 目 weakens the attribute expressed by the adjective. Therefore, the adverbial usage ...目に will in general be a weakening of the adverbial usage of ...く.




    • 早く走った 'ran early'

    • 早めに走った 'ran somewhat early'





  4. ???





No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...