Thursday 17 March 2016

grammar - What does 何+(counter)+も+volitional mean? e.g. 何機も買おう


I found this sentence as an answer to the question: "What are some of the symbols of Japan's wealth?"



次期主力戦闘機を何機も買おうとしていること



I'm not sure whether it means they're buying a lot of next-generation fighters, or none at all.


I think it's a bunkei I have yet to learn, and I can't find it in the textbook.



Answer



There is no relation here. It is simply 何機も followed by the form 〜(よ)うとする. The 何機も corresponds to the combat planes because planes are counted with . The 何 + counter + も pattern just means "several" or an undetermined amount of that thing. For example





  • 食堂に生徒が何人もいます → There are several / There are a number of students in the cafeteria.



So your first translation is correct. "They will try/intend to purchase several combat planes next." (+ こと to answer the question).


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...