Wednesday 30 March 2016

image processing - Understanding the Bilateral Filter - Neighbors and Sigma


I have been reading about the Bilateral Filter in - Fast Bilateral Filtering for the Display of High Dynamic- Range Images and have felt crippled and confused while understanding its working and the parameters.


In the equation for Bilateral Filter given as


enter image description here



  • How to determine the number of neighboring pixels?

  • Are all adjacent pixels the neighboring pixels? (top, right, bottom, left, diagonal)

  • What does it really mean when people say the following (underlined):



enter image description here


Please help me understand this. I feel lost as I try to understand and gain an intuition of the Bilateral Filter.


I plotted a graph of the Gaussian function (y-axis represents the value of Gaussian function;) with three-sigma values 0.2, 0.5 and 0.9 to help me understand but got nothing.


enter image description here


(blue = 0.2, green = 0.9)




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...