Friday 18 March 2016

particles - Is 時間がありますか unnatural?



I asked a few native speakers about which phrase was more natural in a situation where I ask a friend if they had time:



時間がありますか?



or



時間はありますか?



They all chose the latter. So is the former unnatural? In what situations would you use it in?



Answer




I'm amused to read all of your native Japanese speaking friends chose 時間はあります. To me 時間があります and 時間はあります sound the same, and look interchangeable as a postpositional particle - は、が following the subject..


If I was asked which of が and は I would choose in the following examples, I would choose



バッテリーの交換は30分かかります。(お待ちいただく)時間ありますか?


開宴まで5分です。トイレに行く時間ありますか?


もう60歳だ。残された時間ない


まだ十分考える時間ある


くだくだ言っている時間ない



But it doesn’t mean the other option would be grammatically wrong.



Frankly I don’t know why I chose them this way. It might be just intuitive for me, and it is a matter of taste at best. I don’t think the choice of は and が makes any significant difference in meaning or grammaticality in most cases.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...