Saturday 17 October 2015

technology - Is there an online source for trope occurrences?


As a Torah reader, I like to find nuances and inherent meanings in trope (cantillation) nuances and "unusual" occurrences in the Torah. For example I'm looking for all the places that have two consecutive:



  • pazer

  • zarka

  • zakef gadol



as well as the verses having no etnatchta and ones having an etnachata on the 1st word of the verse.


These are just examples of some of the items I seek. I'm not looking for answers to the specific items. But, I know that there is an on-line search tool to locate words and phrases. Is there any on-line tool or, if not, a hardcopy book that enumerates such trope occurrences such as what I mentioned?


I'm currently focusing on just Torah, but if there's one that handles Tana"ch that would be even better. I know that Iyov (Job), Mishlei (Proverbs) and Tehilim (Psalms) have different tropes, so if there's one that could include that - even better.



Answer



I don't have enough rep to comment above, but I'm the creator of quantifiedcantillation.nl, and since I saw a few referrals from this question I thought I'd stop by. It looks like my site should be able to answer all of your questions. (Thanks, @Double-AA!)


For the etnakhta question, if you go to the settings (small cog icon in the lower left) you can limit searches to the beginnings of p'sukim.


@MauroBraunstein, my work is on GitHub. The code is a bit of a mess, but I do exactly what you suggest: I have a python script to parse the raw data (and do some cleaning). Then the javascript just loads that file and generates the interactive visualization with D3. Feel free to mess with it, and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...