Tuesday 7 April 2015

experimental chemistry - How is drift due to static electricity eliminated from an analytical balance?


I've recently encountered a problem when using an analytical (0.1 mg accuracy) scale to determine the mass of a sample of ferrocene powder. The reading in the balance seems to drift either upwards or downwards when I drop some of the powder in an erlenmeyer flask. The reading stabilizes when I add water to form a solution.


I've heard that static electricity might cause this kinds of problems when measuring powders so I suspect this is the case here, because the problem only appears when I add the ferrocene powder. I've try reaserching some ways to get rid of the problem, a static gun seems to work in some cases (no idea if it would work with a powder though) and I've heard that air ionisers also work, but don't have access to either of these.


Although this is the first time I've encountered this situation, I've heard its pretty common, so what do people usually do to get rid of the problem in a cheap manner? Is there an easy solution?


I'm using gloves to operate the scale, which I've been told to do in order to keep the flasks clean of oil from my fingers. Can the gloves be worsening the problem? What can I do about that?



Answer




Static charge can affect the measurements made by an analytical balance, as can magnetic materials because the mechanism in modern analytical balances involves a feedback loop between the load that is measured and an electromagnet. Insulating weighing vessels (plastic or glass) tend to accumulate static charge, especially when handled with another insulator (gloves) by the triboelectric effect.


You should first make sure that the body of the balance is grounded properly according to the manual for your model.


As a short-term solution to static charged glass, you might try arranging the sample so that it is father away from the balance. One way might be to place the sample on top of an empty sample bottle on the balance. As you mentioned, a more robust solution for discharging static build-up is to have a commercially available air ionizer nearby. The device will either produce an equal amount of positive and negative ions in the air at high voltage AC or DC electrodes, or with an ionizing radioactive material such as is found in anti-static brushes used for cleaning vinyl audio records.


If you are frequently measuring magnetic materials, many analytical balances can be configured in a bottom-loading arrangement. In this setup a platform is hooked beneath the balance, and the sample is supported sufficiently far away from the force-restoring motor so that it does not influence the measurement.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...