Tuesday 15 December 2015

words - Name identification for 安田 味子, and "saying" using という


I have the following sentence I need to translate for my introductory Japanese class.




私の友達の名前は、安田味子さんといいます。



There are 2 parts I am having trouble with.


First, the name translation. I think it should be something like Mr/Ms Yasuda Ajiko. When I type "Yasuda" in hiragana, my computer translates it to the correct kanji. However, the "Ajiko" doesn't get the right kanji, making me think that it is not the correct translation.


The second issue is the sentence as a whole. I know the first part is "the name of my friend". And then the second part I think is "say it is Yasuda Ajiko". But these 2 parts of the sentence don't really go together into a good English sentance. "I say the name of my friend is Yasuda Ajiko"?


Any help is appreciated.



Answer



味子(あじこ?) is such a weird name... As @Earthliŋ has pointed out in his comment it might be read as みこ. I'd rather expect みこ (as a girl's name) to be spelled as 美子, 実子 or something, though.

The といいます (its plain form is という) means "と呼ばれている", "to be called/named". See No.1 in プログレッシブ和英中辞典「という」.



私の友達の名前は、安田味子さんといいます。




might look redundant but actually we often use 「~~の名前は~~といいます」, and I don't think it's regarded ungrammatical.



私の友達の名前は、安田味子さんといいます。
私の友達は、安田味子さんといいます。
私の友達の名前は、安田味子さんです。



All of the above sound alright to me. Compare:



私の名前は、安田味子と申します。(申します is the humble form of 言います.)

ねえ、名前、[何]{なん}ていうの?("What's your name?"--casual/friendly)
その[方]{ほう}、[名]{な}は[何]{なん}と いう/[申]{もう}す?(archaic)




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...