Tuesday 1 December 2015

nuances - 朝ご飯は vs. 朝ご飯に - difference between these two sentences?


I wanted to ask my language partner what he ate for breakfast. However, I was unsure whether what I said was correct despite him telling me that it's good - I would just like some verification.


I said:




朝ご飯は何を食べましたか。



I'm unsure whether this is "correct" as in is this how one would normally ask another person what they ate for breakfast?


The Google-translated equivalent is:



(あなたは)朝食に何を食べたのですか?



I don't like to rely heavily on Google-translated sentences to verify if what I mean/say is correct. What is the difference (if any) between these two sentences and is what I said grammatically correct?



Answer





朝ご飯は何を食べましたか。



This is correct. You're literally saying, "As for breakfast, what did you eat?"



朝食に何を食べたのですか?



Google is using the particle に to indicate at in a similar manner to that of 今週末に (this weekend), however, に is usually omitted for relative times. They're both grammatically correct. "At breakfast, what did you eat?"


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...