Thursday 2 April 2015

What is the meaning of よう in this sentence?


ギアをチューンナップしようにも肝心の“G”がなけりゃようせっかくの俺のギアも弱いまま。


My translation - "I can't even tune up Gear without essential 'G', so my precious Gear has to stay wimpy for now."




Answer



This よう is a filler meaning nothing. It's used in the same way as さあ, なあ, のう, etc. If I'm not mistaken, this one is used mainly in Kanto district. Among similar fillers, this one sounds masculine and a bit rough.


EDIT: You may have seen a sentence-end よ or よぅ, which is a mild and gentle particle safely used by girls and children. But as a mid-sentence filler, よ sounds fairly differently.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...