Sunday 5 April 2015

organic chemistry - Doubts on IUPAC name 1,1'-methylenebis(4-isocyanatobenzene)


enter image description here


Wikipedia states IUPAC name of the above compound as 1,1'-methylenebis(4-isocyanatobenzene) .


I have a confusion. Shouldn't isocyanate group be given preference over the methylene group? I assume the name as 4,4'-methylenebis(1-isocyanatobenzene) .


enter image description here


Similar is the case with DDT. Wikipedia states its IUPAC name as 1,1'-(2,2,2-Trichloroethane-1,1-diyl)bis(4-chlorobenzene) .



Why is the numbering of carbon with three chlorine atoms done $1$ ? Moreover, can it be $1,1'$ in the first place in place of $4,4'$ ? I guess the $\text{diyl}$ term indicates that it is connected to two different carbons(of benzene) .


To sum up, I want to know which chain should I select as parent chain and why .




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...