Thursday 19 March 2015

inorganic chemistry - Why is sodium sulfate a neutral salt



When I have a solution of $\ce{Na2SO4}$, the sodium sulfate should ionize: $$\ce{Na2SO4(aq) -> 2Na+(aq) + SO4^{2-}(aq)}$$


In my mind, the sodium ions should just float around, but because $\ce{HSO4-}$ is a weak acid:


$$\ce{HSO4- (aq) + H2O <-> H3O+ (aq) + SO4^2- (aq)}$$



The sulfate ion should be a weak conjugate base, and hence the sodium sulfate salt should be a weak base. This was my line of reasoning, until today my friends told me it is actually a neutral salt, which was confirmed by searching online. So why is it a neutral salt? (i.e. what's wrong with my reasoning?)




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...