Monday 30 March 2015

verbs - Meaning of "生まれし"



I wanted to ask this question because it is the first time I have honestly been unable to find any information on a given form. I know it involves the verb "to be born," but I've never seen a stem+し form. For some more information, the full line is:




人{ひと}の世{よ}に 生{う}まれし頃{ころ}より 戦{いくさ}道{みち}



For those curious, the quote comes from a game called Xenoblade. Could someone explain what construction "生まれし" uses and possibly give a rough translation of the whole thing? Also, I don't know many kanji, so using kana in answers would be appreciated.



Answer



」 is the [連体形]{れんたいけい} (attributive form) of the retrospective auxiliary verb」. 連体形 modifies nouns (頃 in this case).


Even though 「き」 is a Classical auxiliary verb, it is listed in any medium-sized dictionary of Modern Japanese because it is still used today in creative writing where the author's aesthetic preference calls for the old-fashioned and/or literary kind of taste.


https://kotobank.jp/word/%E3%81%97-515145#E5.A4.A7.E8.BE.9E.E6.9E.97.20.E7.AC.AC.E4.B8.89.E7.89.88


「生まれ頃」=「生まれ頃」= "around the time I was born"


「人の世に生まれし頃より戦道」, therefore means:


"I have always walked on the road of war since I was born."



No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...