Thursday 26 March 2015

particles - What's the difference between -ga and -o when they are used to designate a direct object?


During the past month I've been addicted to Japanese. I've listened to about 10 online tutorial video courses and read about as much printed lessons. I am determined to learn Japanese, but I am really a newbie so my question may be very basic, but please bear with me.



If I understand correctly, both -ga and -o particles designate a direct object. For example, I've heard:



Watashi wa ongaku-ga suki desu. = I like music


Watashi wa ongaku-o kiku (or kikimasu, I'm not sure) = I am listening to music



So why is it ga in one case and o in the other? Is it specific to the verb or the object or what?


P.S. I don't know hiragana yet, so I'd appreciate if you could keep your examples, if any, in romaji.



Answer



It depends not only on the verb, but on the form of the verb.


The general rule is that static verbs and adjectives take "ga" and "action verbs" take "o" on the direct object.




piano-o hiku
play the piano


piano-ga hikeru
can play the piano



Here, playing the piano is an action, thus "o" is used. Being able to play the piano is a state, thus "ga" is used.



ringo-ga hoshii
want an apple



ringo-o hoshigaru
act like you want an apple



Again, to want an apple is a state, so use "ga", to act like you want it is an action, so use "o".


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...