Tuesday 1 December 2015

words - How can I differentiate between 「もう」 that means "already" and 「もう」 that means "more/additional"?


I noticed that 「もう」 can mean both "already" and "additional", such as the following sentence:



もう二本飲みましたよ。



Can mean either one of:



  1. I already drank two glasses.


  2. I drank additional two glasses.


How can I differentiate between the two meanings?



Answer



I guess that the most reliable way is decide from the context. But at least in the Tokyo dialect and other dialects with the same accent pattern, they have different accents.



  • I think that もう meaning “already” is pronounced as HL (where H is high and L is low). Therefore もうにほん becomes HLHLL.

  • もう meaning “additional” is pronounced as LH. Therefore もうにほん becomes LHHLL. This can be confirmed by the Daijirin dictionary. This meaning is shown as 1-[3], and the small “0” at the beginning of this meaning means that the “standard” accent is LH.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...