Monday 16 November 2015

words - inter- and intra- prefix


What would one use for the equivalent of the "inter-" and "intra-" prefixes in English?


e.g. intercity, intracity, inter-server etc



I did a fair amount of looking around. 間 looks like it might be usable for some of the inter- words and 内 for a fare few of the intra- (intramural soccer = 校内サッカーリーグor学内サッカーリーグ?)but I was hoping there would be something more consistent.



Answer



You can translate inter- and intra- to ~間 and ~内 respectively.


(Note that they become suffixes rather than prefixes in Japanese.)


References:



  • I read dainichi's comments above;

  • I found this answer on ye olde Bag o' Wisdom;

  • I looked for patterns in the inter- and intra- words in my Kenkyusha J-E dictionary; and

  • I briefly checked Google to see if the patterns seemed correct.



No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...