Sunday 15 November 2015

usage - When is it appropriate to use お疲れ様 (otsukaresama)?


I know the general meaning of using お疲れ様です/でした to express gratitude for some work, but I'm a bit fuzzy about appropriate times to use it.


I know it is a common saying when leaving for the day, and I've also seen it in email when replying to someone who has just done some task, but are there other situations where this would be appropriate (or inappropriate)? Is there any kind of time element implied (would it sound strange in the morning?)?


Also, when is it appropriate to just use お疲れさん instead of お疲れ様?



Answer




I'd describe it best as a greeting or set phrase used after (any sort of) work has been done. It can be used in a variety of situations:



  • at the end of any shared activity (before leaving home from work, after volunteer work, after group activities like hiking), very much in the sense of "See you..."

  • when greeting somebody who (supposedly) is working or has just finished work (coming into the office during the day, greeting your colleagues/friends/spouse after work)

  • acknowledging somebody's efforts ("I finished what you asked me for..." - "Ah, otsukaresama, arigatō gozaimasu.", "I walked 5 miles to get here." - "Otsukaresama!")

  • humorously ("I finally decided on which shoes to buy!" - "Otsukaresama desu.")


I wouldn't use it first thing in the morning when coming into the office, since everybody's (supposedly) just starting to work. I'd use it when coming back into the office from a client meeting though, for example. Using it if I just came in late because I overslept is borderline (お疲れ様って言うなよ、オマエ! ;-)).


お疲れさん or お疲れ can be used somewhat more informally than お疲れ様. Not advisable in formal situations.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...