Tuesday 3 November 2015

giving and receiving - Teageru, TeMorau, TeKureru


I already know how to use あげる、もらう and くれる as verbs... But I have some questions regarding the te form of a verb + てあげる、てもらう、てくれる. Where I'm learning it they translate Verb(teform)+あげる/もらう as making a favor like




友達がゲームをするのを教えてくれた。 My friend made me the favor of teaching me how to play the game. Is there a better way to translate it?



What different tone this sentence has in comparisson to something like:



友達がゲームをするのを教えた。?



Also, is くれる only allowed when the action is going for me? When talking about a third person should I always use あげる or もらう?



"The mother took her children to the school."


母が彼女の子供に学校で連れてくれた. Is it wrong? How could it be right?



母が彼女の子供に学校で連れてもらった.


母が彼女の子供に学校で連れてあげた.



Also I can't really tell what different meaning the sentence would have changing the end like that, even though I know how to use it as verbs alone.


Sorry for the big question, I hope I am making sense.



Answer




  • 母が子供を学校へ連れていった。

    • Mother took her children to school. (no favor)




  • 子供が母に学校へ連れていってもらった。

    • The children were taken to school by mother. (favor to children by mom)



  • 母が他人に(母の)子供を学校へ連れていってもらった。

    • Mother had another person take her children to school. (favor to mom by other)




  • 母が他人の子供を学校へ連れていってあげた。

    • Mother took another persons children to school. (favor to the other by mom)




Favor here is not necessarily a really big generous favor.





Edit in reply to comment:


When an outsider does something "for" your sister (an insider), then くれる can also be used.



  • Simple example: 他人が姉にドアを開けてくれた。

  • Complex example: 他人が、姉に(姉の子供を学校へ連れていくことを)してくれた。


The complex sentence can be shortened to



  • 他人が、姉の子供を学校へ連れていってくれた。(sentence accepted by one native speaker)



However, in that abbreviation, the favor-receiver is not specified. A friendly native speaker resource (not a linguist) feels uncomfortable with this sentence



  • 他人が、姉に姉の子供を学校へ連れていってくれた。(sentence rejected by one native speaker)


Despite the fact that this would be OK



  • 姉が、他人に姉の子供を学校へ連れていってもらった。(sentence accepted by one native speaker)


You used a complex example in your question, containing 連れていく. If you are only interested in the simple example, you can leave the complex example until later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...