Friday 17 April 2015

grammar - What is the difference between ~んとする and ~とする?


I ran into ~んとする the other day and I think I get the hang of how it works and what meaning it conveys, but it seems eerily similar to that of ~とする.


I know Japanese have a lot of different ways to say the same thing, so I wonder if there's no other difference apart from conjugation between these two. In other words, I wonder if the following examples mean the same:



見る → 見らんとする
見る → 見ようとする





Answer





  • 見んと (<見むと) is more literary/archaic and can be more bookish than 見ようと.
    (You don't say 見らんと)




  • 見んとする (<見むとする) * consists of: み (未然形, imperfective form of 見る) + archaic volitional auxiliary ん (む) + particle と + verb する
    * You might also encounter an archaic verb す used instead of する , as in 見んとす.





  • 見ようとする consists of: み + volitional auxiliary よう + particle と + verb する




A few examples:



せんと, 送らんと, 書かんと, 言わんと... ← literary
しようと, 送ろうと, 書こうと, 言おうと... ← modern




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...