Friday 17 April 2015

grammar - Is は used when asking if something already discussed exists?


If I've talked about a thing before, and want to ask whether or not it exists in another place (or time), would I use "は"?


For example, if I said "In Sydney, I saw a ryokan. Are there ryokans in Melbourne?", would I say "は" or "が" in



シドニーで、旅館を見ました。


メルボルンに旅館(は/が?)ありますか?




By contrast, if I hadn't talked about it before, would I use "が"?



私はメルボルンに行きます。


メルボルンに旅館がありますか?



(The reason I'm asking about this is that I probably got the wrong idea about when to use "が" and "は" because I misinterpreted the grammar section of "Japanese For Busy People I" Unit 4 (page 68 in the kana edition))




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...