Wednesday 8 April 2015

grammar - The correct usage of ~と決める, ~に決める, and ~を決める


Browsing the example of 決める, I found at least there are 3 patterns as follows:




  • 行く決めた。I decided to go.





  • 行くまい決めた。I decided not to go.




  • 車を買うこと決めた。I decided to buy a car.




  • 会議の日決めた。I decided the meeting date.








  • Are my conclusions below correct?



    • ~に決める can only follow こと.

    • ~と決める can only follow verb in dictionary form.

    • ~を決める can follow any noun.





  • Which is the correct interpretation of「私たちは、会議の日を三月四日に決めた。」?




    • We decided the meeting date to be March 4.




    • We decided the meeting date in March 4. (But when the meeting date is unspecified)









No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...