Saturday 25 June 2016

particles - 揺れる with に or で



I rarely have any problems with the に and で particles, but I have been a bit confused since seeing the word 揺れる in a few different sentences.


As far as I know it is ok to say either:



旗が風に揺れている



or



旗が風で揺れている



Where you could of course replace 旗 with another word like 木 or 電線.



My problem is that I can't tell the difference between these sentences.


To me, at the moment, they both mean "~ is swaying in the wind". But there must be some difference between these sentences that I am not seeing.


Can anybody tell me the difference in meaning when it comes to the に or で particles with the word 揺れる?


Any help would be appreciated.



Answer



風に揺れる sounds a bit poetic and literary to me. If I'm writing an essay, novel or poem, I'd write 風に揺れる. I think we usually say 風で揺れる in daily conversations.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...