Thursday 23 June 2016

grammar - たり vs. て for multiple adjectives


I came across the following example:



大きかったり重かったりする本


a big, heavy book



I am not sure this sentence is correct to begin with, (part of me feels like it should be した) but assuming that it is, what would be the difference between the above and the following?




大きくて重い本



Both appear to me to mean "a big, heavy book".


I would also like to confirm that chaining adjectives unconjugated as follows is ungrammatical.



大きい重い本 ×




Answer



大きかったり重かったりする本 could be plural: some books being big, some heavy, some both. It does not make that much sense on a single book (unless the book is sometimes being heavy, and sometimes being big).



No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...