Sunday 26 June 2016

fft - Choosing the right overlap for a window function


On Wikipedia there is quite a list of window functions. However, when you are doing a lot of STFTs, you often have to have some overlap to get better results.


Generally an overlap factor of 2 (i.e., 50% overlap) works fine (I'm doing analysis & resynthesis), but for some windows it isn't good (I currently have this experience with the Blackman window).


I tried my best but I couldn't find a resource that would list the "good" overlap factors for common and less common windows.




Answer



Please refer to this paper on the optimum overlap percentage for the Blackman-Harris window, which is derived to be 66.1%. It has a lot of useful information on spectral analysis and windows.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...