Saturday 23 April 2016

verbs - How to differentiate ~られる conjugation between passive form and potential form?


For verbs of group 2, whose ~ます form is formed by dropping the ending ~る from the plain form, both the passive and potential forms have the same conjugation: ~られる. Example:




食べられる
1. to be eaten
2. can eat / edible



Other than looking at the context, how do I differentiate between the two meanings?



Answer



I don't think you can differentiate them without looking at the context.






  • ハンバーガー が・を 食べられる → I can eat hamburgers




  • ハンバーガーを食べられてしまった! → Someone ate my hamburger!!





With the passive form, you'll usually see the doer/"culprit", indicated by ~に/~によって (there are some rules about which to use, but that's beyond the scope of this topic):





  • 父にハンバーガーを食べられることが多い → My hamburgers are often eaten by my father ("My father often eats my hamburgers")

  • 「モナ・リザ」はダ・ヴィンチによって描かれた → The "Mona Lisa" was painted by DaVinci.



Don't forget that there is a third conjugation of this form that is a type of keigo (somewhat between normal politeness and super politeness)




  • 課長は明日会議に行かれる → The section chief is going to the meeting tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...