Thursday 21 April 2016

grammar - What does と do in this sentence? Is it just quoting?


First time asking something here, so I hope it goes down well. I have a difficult time with と in this sentence.



錬金術師らの間でも 神への冒涜暗黙のうちに禁じられていると聞きますし




The first part is easy. Even among alchemists, blasphemy to God... と is tacitly forbidden, I hear.


What I am thinking is that it might be a quotation. As in 「神への冒涜」と is being forbidden. と in this case would specify what is tacitly forbidden.


Is it just that or does it have another meaning that I am missing.


EXTRA POINTS: 暗黙 means tacit and the のうちに makes it tacitly. But usually (の)うちに means while; during; as when coupled with a noun. So is 暗黙のうちに just a common expression or is there more to うちに that meets the eye.


Thank you in advance for helping me out.




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...