Tuesday 26 April 2016

kinetics - Estimating Surface Reactions - Liquid, Turbulent Flow


So, I need a method of estimating the influence of a surface (rate constant would do for a start), the idea is to estimate just Reactant + Surface -> Product in a turbulent liquid flow.


Now I am aware of the book "The properties of gases and liquids" by Poling and Prausnitz which gives me two terms for estimating diffusion in a liquid, one general formula from 1975 and a formula specific to hydrocarbons (applicable in my case) from 1982, namely:


Tyn and Calus, 1975:


$$D(AB) = \frac{7.4\,10^{-4} (\phi M(B))^{1/2}T}{\eta(B) V(A)^{0.6}}$$


Hayduk and Minhas, 1982:


$$D(AB) = \frac{13.3\,10^{-8}T^{1.47} \eta(B)^{\epsilon}}{V(A)^{0.71}}$$ where $\epsilon = \frac{10.2}{V(A)}-0.791$


The other variables are




  • $M(B)$ = molecular weight of solvent B

  • $T$ = temperature

  • $\eta(B)$ = viscosity of solvent B

  • $V(A)$ = molar volume of solute A

  • $\phi$ = association factor of solvent B (1 if unassociated)


Given that in my special case I am looking at a liquid in a turbulent flow, I can use the kinetic theory of gases to estimate a surface collision rate - and include surface efficiency using the work on Baldwin and Howarth from 1982.


For a cylindrical pipe with the solute tending to zero, an upper limit for my rate constant for a surface reaction would be: $k(s) = \frac{8D}{r^2}$


Now there is one big problem with this: The diffusion estimate is not for a turbulent flow (I might be able to get get a diffusion term from Fluent to get a more accurate estimate).



Secondly, at best this would give me an upper limit.


So my question is, do you know of any better more accurate methods of estimating (at least limits) a rate constant for surface reactions? (Or at least the collision rate with the surface.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...