Monday 18 April 2016

meaning - What is meant/implied by "じゃないんだからね"?


I noticed today, while playing Grisaia no Kajitsu (English version, since my Japanese is really bad), that when I click on a menu option while using Michiru's voice to voice the menus, she ends her sentence with "じゃないんだからね" (one example being clicking "Extras," which causes Michiru to say "おまけじゃないんだからね"). I'm not entirely certain that she uses the ん sound, but it sounds like it to me. It sounds as if she is telling me that there is no omake, but I feel like I'm missing the importance of the "んだからね". She is supposed to be a tsundere (well, a fake tsundere anyway), so that likely plays into this.


Here is a short clip of her saying it (4 seconds, made with Windows 7's sound recorder), so that you all may tell me that I terribly misheard everything and should give up on Japanese forever.


I converted it to a wav (using online-convert.com), so it should play without being downloaded, I think.



Answer



You heard it quite right; she is saying 「おまけじゃないんだからね!」.



Where you would normally hear something like this from a ツンデレ is in a scene where she does something for a guy and then follows it up with 「べっ別に好きってわけじゃないんだからね!」 "I-It's not like I like you or anything!"


In my opinion, it doesn't really make that much sense in this context, but saying 「〜じゃないんだから」 excessively is basically part of the ツンデレ trope, and I guess they are just extending it to somewhere where it sounds completely ridiculous for fun. She is basically saying "It's not like this is an extras screen or anything!" or "It's not like these are extras or anything!!" or however you might want to interpret it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...