Tuesday 5 April 2016

conjugations - Meaning of ...立てちゃいなよ


I am organizing an event and posted a flyer on a famous SNS.


Someone commented on it saying: イベント立てちゃいなよ


From the context I guess it is advising me to create an event (SNS feature), am I mistaken?


QUESTION: What are the different grammatical parts in 立てちゃいなよ ?



Answer



立てちゃいなよ is the contracted form of 立ててしまいなよ. Another, mascline, contraction is 立てちまいなよ. The components of 立ててしまいなよ are:




tate-te (verb in a certain form) simaw- (another verb) -i- (epenthetic vowel) na (affix) yo (sentence-final particle)





  • 'Tate-' usually means 'to stand something up' or 'establish', but is used slangishly in this context 'to initiate'.




  • 'Simaw-' as a main verb means 'to pack something up and put it away', but here, it is used with an auxiliary meaning that derives from that, namely 'to have something done', often, but not necessarily, with the connotation of 'without much consideration' or 'with a negative result'.






ケーキを食べた 'I ate the cake.'


ケーキを食べてしまった 'I ate up the cake without much consideration.'





  • 'I' is a vowel that is inserted by default in order to avoid consecutive consonants that are not allowed in Japanese phonology.




  • This usage of 'na' means suggestion, and unlike imperatives, it is suggested from the viewpoint of the sake of the addressee. To take some forms that Derek mentions for comparison:






ケーキを食べろ/食べなさい 'Eat the cake!' [Neutral about for whose sake or what reason]


ケーキを食べな 'I suggest you eat the cake (for your own sake)'


ケーキを食べて(ほしい) 'I want you to eat the cake (for my sake)'




  • 'Yo' is called a sentence-final partical, often contrasted with 'ne'.




'Yo' is used to tell/suggest something that the addressee is not expected to have in mind.


'Ne' is used to say something that the addressee is expected to know and agree with the addressor.


ケーキを食べたよ 'You know what? I ate the cake.'


ケーキを食べたね 'You ate the cake, didn't you?'





So the sentence イベント立てちゃいなよ means, 'I suggest that you just start out an event without worrying much about its outcomes'.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...