Tuesday 17 March 2015

physical chemistry - Is there any empirical upper limit for order of reaction?


I learned from one of my teachers that empirically reaction with order greater that 3 are never found. But, I am suspicious of the truth value of his claim.


To add to my suspicion there is this paper from 1932 referring to a fourth-order reaction



It seems to me theoretically there should be no upper limit for a reaction as it is possible for 4,5,6... chemical species to come together with the right activation energy in the right direction.


However, empirically making 4 or 5 chemical species to form a transition species is very hard. So, there should be a empirical limit to order of reaction in the light of chemistry we know today.


What is this limit?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...