Wednesday 18 March 2015

nuances - Difference between 「~のない~」 and 「~がない~」?


For example, plugging these into Google, I can find stuff like, 自信のない人 and 自信がない人. Or, 愛のない生活 and 愛がない生活. I found a movie called 顔のないスパイ. How is this any different from 顔がないスパイ?


I've asked Japanese people this, and the only answer I've ever gotten is that that's a hard one to explain, and that there really isn't much difference worth noting. I'd like to know the gritty details though, what little nuance each holds.


I feel like I see this difference with "ない" more than anything, but that could just be me. I can't really recall ever hearing the opposite, like 自信のある人. Is this significant? Am I wrong?


Thanks!





No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...