Tuesday 1 March 2016

organic chemistry - Order of citation of alkyl and halide prefixes in IUPAC names


I've been playing around with ChemDraw and found that it assigns the priorities of substituents in a way I wouldn't have expected, depending on the length of the alkyl substituent. I'm not a nomenclature buff, so I'd like to know if it's correct and if so, why.


substituted benzenes



  • $n = 1$: 1-ethyl-2-iodobenzene

  • $n = 2$: 1-iodo-2-propylbenzene

  • $n = 3$: 1-butyl-2-iodobenzene


  • $n = 4$: 1-iodo-2-pentylbenzene


What determines the priorities of the alkyl group and the iodo group?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...