Sunday 1 January 2017

Other uses of the particle に in お兄ちゃんには見つからない


I'm reading a story and two siblings are playing 'hide and seek'. The younger one, after finding a hiding place, says:



ここならお兄ちゃんには絶対に見つからないよ



ここなら means 'if here' that is, from the context, 'if I hide in here...'



The rest of the sentence, I can tell, have the general meaning of "if I hide in here, my brother will absolutely not find me". But breaking down the sentence to pieces... what is the role of お兄ちゃんには? お兄ちゃん is not a location so に has little sense (to me) when applied to it.


What's going on?


Thank you very much.




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...