Friday 4 March 2016

grammar - Differences between ways to express obligation?


1) I know that, to express something that you must do, you can use 方{ほう}がいい and, for a stronger feeling, べき.


2) I am also aware you can use conditionals like 〜なくちゃ、〜なきゃ、〜ないと to express that you need to do something.


Though I understand the difference between 方がいい and べき, and I somewhat understand the differences in 〜なくちゃ、〜なきゃ、and 〜ないと, I don't understand the difference between those two groups. I don't understand the difference between 1 and 2.


Is there some sort of nuance I'm missing? Also, is there a difference between something you need (by yourself) versus what you're obligated to do (by society or rules or something)?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...