Thursday 7 January 2016

orthography - ー vs small kana vs long kana for writing long vowels


I had thought that for writing long vowels in Japanese, that small kana was mostly used with hiragana and ー was mostly used with katakana.


I was actually thinking of asking whether there were exceptions but then when I looked up a word I'm interested in lately I found all these spellings in WWWJDIC:



  • すげー

  • すげぇ

  • すっげえ


  • すっげー

  • すげえ

  • すっげぇ


Not only are there variants with and , but also !


In general, how do I know when to use which?


Also do I need to know which is needed to type them? Assume I know how to type them if I know the spelling, but consider also the case where I've heard a new word in speech and don't know the spelling yet. (Please don't tell me that's a software issue with nothing to do with Japanese.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...