Friday 22 January 2016

meaning - Weird usage of dakuten


Reading manga, I came across this speech bubble:



I noticed the dakuten in ず is on the wrong side of the horizontal line, does this have some special meaning or is it just some sort of printing error? I went back to check earlier chapters and none of the other ず seem to be written this way.



Answer




Does this have some special meaning?



No. I've never encountered a dakuten with a special meaning.




... or is it just some sort of printing error?



A printing error in this case is unlikely. I think that it has to do with the font that they are using. Just as with English fonts, some characters change slightly, like with the lowercase 'a' in English. For example, the font on my computer puts the dakuten underneath the line on your question. (shown below)


enter image description here




Then, I changed the font, and I got a different result:


enter image description here




The moral of the story is you're noticing different font styles! For further information on why the font styles differ, look at the other answer.



No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...