Thursday 7 January 2016

kashrut kosher - Why doesn't Kellogg's print the symbol of their certifying agency on their boxes


I have separated my previous question about Kellogg's cereals into different posts based on the comments on that question.


The cRc recommends Kellogg's cereals with only a k on the box. In my experience, I have not heard of anybody who disagrees with this. This is an unusual situation, though, since normally a plain k does not indicate reliable kashrut supervision. Apparently those cereals are under the supervision of the Rabbinical Council of New England (see linked question), but for some reason Kellogg's does not mark the boxes as being under their certification.



The Rabbinical Council of New England actually has its own logo which looks like this:


KVH Logo


I have seen the KVH logo on restaurants in Boston such as Cafe Eilat which the Young Israel of Brookline lists as kosher. This in addition to the fact that well-known organizations stand by their certification of Kellogg's foods indicates to me that they seem to indeed be a reliable kashrut organization. So why doesn't their logo appear on Kellogg's cereal boxes?


I do not believe that the reason is simply because the symbol is less well-known (compared to OU or OK). A hechsher that some people would have to look up still seems better than something that is not a real hechsher at all.


I also don't believe that the reason is so that they can change at any time (as suggested in the comments on the other post). Kellogg's does print OU and OK on products certified by those organizations, and the same rule should apply. In any case, I just don't see what is gained by printing a K rather than KVH.




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...