Thursday 6 August 2015

analytical chemistry - Possible Method for Testing Ammonia (and Nitrite/Nitrate) Concentration in Water


I am designing an automated system testing device for my high school's aquaponics club. We need to test for a number of ion concentrations, including ammonia and nitrite/nitrate. In my research, the few selective-ion probes that exist are quite expensive, thus I am looking for some other, more creative methods for attaining these concentrations.


The most obvious method of testing would be to use a colorimeter to assess water samples w/added indicators. However, this would be a fairly complex device to automate. I would essentially be building an autosampler, which I think would be a ton of fun, but has the disadvantage of being expensive and time-consuming (to an extent that my application writing will not allow).


My question to you, community, is if I could test concentrations of these ions through vaporizing my sample and testing vapor w/gas sensors. If I were to boil a solution containing nitrite, nitrate and ammonia, what would my products be? Could I theoretically pull this off?


Thanks! Ethan




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...