Thursday 20 August 2015

Acetic Acid type of solvent


I want to ask a question about polar/non-polar (a)protic solvents.


The following information was given to me in the lecture hall today regarding solvents in organic chemistry.


enter image description here



I recall the structure of Acetic Acid as $\ce{CH3COOH}$ but surely given the $\ce{O-H}$ dipole, wouldn't that make Acetic acid a Polar Protic solvent i.e. the $\ce{H}$ attached to the $\ce{O-H}$ can be involved in hydrogen bonding?


Am I incorrect in this instance? Shouldn't $\ce{CH3COOH}$ be classified as a polar protic solvent?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...