Thursday 20 August 2015

hashkafah philosophy - How does my having someone in mind when I learn help them?


Many times, as a merit for a recovery for someone sick or someone in need, I have been asked to have that person in mind when I learn. In some places, they will put up a sign asking to have a certain person in mind, particularly if that person has made a donation to the organization where the learning is taking place.


If the request would be "please learn with more intensity than usual as a merit for this person" then I would understand how this could be a merit for them, as they are now the impetus and catalyst for my qualitative improvement in my learning. But just "having them in mind" doesn't seem to do very much.


Does merely being cognizant of another person when you do a Mitzvah somehow transfer credit to that person?


Note: This question could be asked about any Mitzvah, but I chose learning because it is a common example that I see.




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...