Wednesday 6 January 2016

syntax - Usage of ”し” particle


Whenever I watch drama or news I always hear "し" particle being used. Back when I was still studying "Minna No Nihongo" my teacher taught me that ”し” means "だから” but native Japanese tend to use this to enumerate list of option like in the following example



結婚式ってだいたいいくらかかるんですか?


えと。。。100万円っていうのもあります、5万もありますよ。



I just want to know what is the real meaning of "し".



Answer



The particle is used to create a non-exhaustive list of reasons.


Example from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_particles#shi):




綺麗{きれい}だ、広い{ひろい}、いいね、このアパート!


Kirei da shi, hiroi shi, ii ne, kono apaato!


It's clean, it's spacious; this apartment is nice, isn't it!



In this example sentence, indicates that the cleanness and spaciousness of the apartment may not be the only reasons the speaker likes it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...