Friday 12 August 2016

O-H infrared band dependence of alcohol concentration in water


With regard to IR spectroscopy, how would the O-H band change as an alcohol solution was diluted with water? I am referring to any alcohol, but for the sake of example we can use ethanol. I think first that the $\ce{O-H}$ band shown would increase in intensity. I believe this is the case because the water is becoming a greater proportion of the mixture and water is explicitly made from $\ce{O-H}$ bonds whereas the $\ce{O-H}$ bond in ethanol only represents a fraction of the bonds in the molecule. Is this correct? Is there also a wave number shift that would occur too that I am missing?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...