Monday 22 August 2016

lashon hara slander - Corporations and Jewish ethics


Mitt Romney famously remarked that "corporations are people too." I don't buy that, but I've been wondering about what Jewish ethics says about how we should treat them. Specifically,



  1. If we speak ill of them, is it lashon hara? Can we say a large corporation is greedy, or doesn't care about privacy, or safety, or whatever? Assume not Jewish owned, but doubtless many Jewish employees.

  2. If we despise them, is it sinat chinam? Can we harbor ill will toward a corporation or must we forgive them?




Answer



I think that the general point is that in Halacha, corporations don't exist.


Think about it this way:



  1. I sell an old laptop on ebay. Am I now corporate?

  2. I sell 5 old laptops on ebay. What about now?


  3. I sell 5000 new laptops on ebay.


    yada yada yada




  4. I am HP. Am I a corporation now?


Even multiple owners doesn't change anyting.



  1. If two brothers bought a duplex together. Are we a corporation?

  2. If three brothers bought a store together. What about now?

  3. If 5000 friends bought HP. Are we corporate now?


In other words, all big corporations are companies with multiple owners. Whatever halacha would be regarding badmouthing a Jew selling iphone accessories in a street corner would apply to it (though note, that due to the fact that HP is not owned exclusively by Jews, the Halacha may be different. Though in theory, the Halacha would be the same).



No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...