Saturday 13 August 2016

matlab - How to analyse the sound of Motor


I have a motor, that I want to analyse, using its sound, so I can its 'character' I was using the the simple fft, and figured out, that it wouldn't help, so I tried the order analysis, at least I incremented the speed of the motor and I can say it in spectrogram like here:


enter image description here


My question isn't about codes but about theory, what are the methods that I can use to analyse the sound of motor? Thanks for any help ! link : related question




Answer



In my opinion, using the STFT (or spectrogram) as you already did is a good start. Try to change the parameters of your STFT, i.e. window size and frame shift until you are able to detect certain frequencies and their repetitions.


This is an example for a decelerating car on the highway. The inertial sensor (not a microphone) was placed at the axle:


STFT of decelerating car


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...