Saturday 13 August 2016

grammar - Difference between だろうか and ではないだろうか


In my opinion, they both share the same meaning of "~, isn't it". However, it seems that they cannot be used interchangeably. For example, in the following sentence, according to my mock exam textbook, ではないだろうか is correct for __ but not だろうか .




ラブレターや海外からの絵葉書をメールで代用するのはおそらく無理 __。




Answer



In the descending order of certainty:



  • ~だろう = "I think (some clause)." The speaker thinks the clause is probably (or almost certainly) true.

  • ~ではないだろうか = "I think (some clause), isn't it?" The speaker thinks the clause is perhaps true, but he's less certain as compared to the first sentence.

  • ~だろうか = "I wonder whether or not (some clause)." The speaker doesn't know if the clause is true or false. You cannot add 恐らく to this sentence because the speaker is totally unsure.

  • ~ではないだろう = "I don't think (some clause)." The speaker thinks the clause is probably not true.





  • 彼は(恐らく)大丈夫だろう。 He must be okay.

  • 彼は(恐らく)大丈夫ではないだろうか。 I think he is okay.

  • 彼は大丈夫だろうか。 I wonder if he is okay. / I'm worried if he's okay.

  • 彼は(恐らく)大丈夫ではないだろう。 He must not be okay.



In the example sentence, the speaker is saying "It's probably impossible (無理) to use e-mails in place of ...", so 恐らく無理ではないだろうか is the correct phrase. 恐らく無理だろう is equally fine. The existence of the word 恐らく is what makes ~だろうか wrong. You can't usually say "I wonder if he is probably fine." in English, either.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...