Thursday 11 June 2015

What trends exist in the Periodic Table?



I wish to know the trends in the periodic table and why that trend exists, for the following parameters:



  1. Atomic size

  2. Ionization energy

  3. Metallic character

  4. Positive ion size

  5. Negative ion size


  6. Electronegativity




My progress (if my reasoning is wrong for any of these please correct me):




  1. Atomic size - I memorized from my class lecture that the greatest atomic size is towards the bottom-left of the periodic table. I think the reason for this is because as you go down the groups (IA, IIA, etc.) you add more electrons. Adding more electrons means the atom will logically grow bigger. I am not sure why the answer is not bottom-right, though.




  2. Ionization energy - This is the energy required to remove an electron from an atom. If there are more electrons then the electron will be further from the nucleus and by Coulomb's law, since the distance increases, the force attraction that keeps the electron in the nucleus's orbit is weak. Thus, the ionization energy is the highest toward the top-left.





  3. I have no clue what to think for metallic character.




  4. Positive ion size I know the answer is that it increases towards the bottom left, but I don't know why.




  5. Negative ion size I know the answer is that it increases towards the bottom left, but I don't know why.





  6. Electronegativity I am pretty sure is highest at F which is 4.0 and is lowest towards the bottom left. So the trend increases towards the top-right.






No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...