Friday 19 June 2015

trop cantillation - Origin, need, and purpose of "Upper" trope for reading 10 Commandments


Most תקון לקוראים (study "guide used by Torah reader to prepare for reading weekly Torah portion) that I have seen have a special trope for the reading of the 10 Commandments called טעם עליון (loosely translated as "upper" notes or trope.)


From what I can tell, the difference of this special trope is that it groups all the verses of each commandment (except for the 1st two which are together) as if they were a single verse, with regards to the trope.


As I understand, the trope notes are Masoretic, and I assume that the "original" version, what we call טעם תחתון ("lower trope) is the Masoretic version, and that טעם עליון was created later. Was this Masoretic, as well?


Who (if someone else) created it? What is the purpose for doing this? I understand what it accomplishes, as I explained, above, but what significance does reading the 10 Commandments one way or the other have?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...