Tuesday 30 June 2015

passive voice - Parsing potential phrase modifying a noun


From Hirameki Hatsume-chan Vol 1, chapter 71 How does the sentence in the third panel translate, and who is doing what to whom? Is it a potential and the どうぐ is "enabling" him to have good dreams or is it passive and the 見る verb used to mean "show"?



Answer




[(私が/人が)いい夢を見られる]道具

A tool [with which (I/people) can see a good dream]



いい夢を見られる is a relative clause modifying 道具.
Its non-relative equivalent would be:



道具(私が/人が)いい夢を見られる。
With a tool, (I/people) can see a good dream.



So the 見られる is potential. Its subject can be "I", "we", "you" or "people" who will have a good dream using that tool. The particle で goes missing when you turn the sentence into the relative clause.


Compare:






  • 私がペン使った。-- I used the pen.
    → [私が使った]ペン -- the pen that I used (を goes missing)




  • 道具火を起こす。 -- (I) start a fire with a tool.
    → [火を起こす]道具 -- a tool with which (I) start a fire (で goes missing)





  • きれいな字が書ける。 -- (I) can write beautiful characters with a brush.
    → [きれいな字が書ける]筆 -- the brush with which (I) can write beautiful characters. (で goes missing)





No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...